Monday, September 21, 2009

Scotcheroos


For Christmas my Grandma always gave us a care packages. Kids got underwear, socks, pjs, lifesavers and bubble bath. Then for the men in the family it was underwear, tube socks, tools, flashlights, aftershave, a can of mixed nuts and those types of things. For women it had panties, knee highs, kitchen towels, bath stuff (bath salts, beads, bubbles), perfume, kitchen utensils and similar type things. When I was in high school, I started getting the woman's care package instead of a kids care package. And so I started getting kitchen towels and kitchen utensils so that I would be prepared when I got married. I also started getting cookbooks. But they were the cookbooks that organizations/charities put together to raise money. You know the kind where they have Mrs.Heilman's Rhubarb Cake recipe, Mrs. Linder's recipe for Calico Beans, Mrs. Gisvold's Dilly Dip and so on. Most of the recipes are just good comfort food.

While I was home to visit my family, my Mom made one of my childhood favorite treats. And I have been craving them since. So recently I took out one of those cook books by a Woman's Auxiliary and thumbed through it trying to find a recipe for Special K bars as I haven't made them since I was in high school and couldn't remember how to make them. And knew one of those cookbooks would have the recipe. I didn't find them under the name Special K bars - but under the name Scotcheroos.

Scotcheroos
1 cup white corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups rice crispies
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips

Measure rice crispies into a large bowl. Combine the sugar and syrup in sauce pan. Cook until it boils. Remove from heat, add the peanut butter. Stir until full incorporated. Pour over rice crispies and mix. Pat into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Don't press too compact or they will become hard. Melt the chips together, stirring until smooth and well blended. Spread evenly over the rice crispies. Cool and cut into squares.

Notes:
I decided to do a thinner bars so pressed into a 10 x 15 pan. And I upped the chips to 1 1/3 cups each.

I like the chocolate to firm up but it wasn't so I just put them in to the fridge for about an hour. I then took out and let thaw for a little bit and cut.

I just remembered Katie also posted a version of them without the chocolate topping on her post Packing Lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin