Thursday, January 21, 2010

Maple Butterscotch Cake

We got a new oven right before Thanksgiving. And this cake was the first cake I baked in the new oven. When I made this cake in my old oven, it didn't turn out too good. But Master loves maple so I knew I needed to tackle it again for his birthday. And it turned out perfectly. Unfortunately my photo didn't. It came out blurry. The cake has amazing flavor but I have to say this frosting is to die for....really Oh my! You know the maple frosting on donuts? That is kind of what it tastes like only this is better. Trust me!




Maple Butterscotch Cake

Cake:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon maple extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (or cake flour*)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk

Frosting:
1/3 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon maple extract


Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch pan.

For the cake cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl at least once. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between additions. Add the extracts and mix to combine.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together. And then add to the butter mixture alternately with the milk.

Pour the batter into the pan, spread it out evenly and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is springy to the touch and a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes.

For the frosting put the butterscotch chips and half of the butter in a heatproof bowl, and melt together over low heat or at low power in the microwave. Stir until smooth; if it looks a little broken, that's okay. (If you have made my maple fudge you know the same thing happens)

Put the other half of the butter in a mixing bowl with half of the confectioners' sugar. Mix until smooth and then add the melted chip mixture. Add the rest of the sugar and beat again until you have a smooth frosting. Mix in the extract. Add the milk if necessary to make the frosting a spreadable consistency - which I find I always need to add it. Spread the frosting evenly over cake. Serve.


* Cake Flour gives it just a little bit different texture to me - probably better but I usually don't have cake flour around. Though you can "make" your own. But read about subbing all-purpose flour for cake flour and how to make your own cake flour.

4 comments:

  1. Who cares about the blurry pic - I wish I could reach through my monitor and eat that! I am going to give this a try this weekend, methinks. I'm a maple-butterscotch loving girl, so this seems perfect for me.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marci! Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its look like yummy, but don’t know its taste. Can you tell me it’s time duration?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes 25 to 30 mins to cook.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin