Monday, May 12, 2008

Meal/Menu Planning

When I make my grocery list, I make up a meal list. I don't put mine on a calendar that says Tuesday is going to be homemade pizza because our schedules just change so often that I might not have the time to make dough on Tuesday. So I have a list I can refer to and see the options. There are also things that are staples in our pantry/freezer/fridge that I can make almost anytime so those meal ideas are usually on the list too. If you have a fairly consistent schedule, writing out the menu on a calendar is a great idea. And if you see on Thursday you are making a roast -- you can write on the calendar the day you need to take it out to thaw. We have a dry erase board on our fridge so I usually write a note to myself there if I need to take something out that morning.

In making my grocery list and planning meals, I clean out the fridge, freezer and pantry. I toss things that are don't look good or are expired. I usually try to wipe down the shelves as I do that too. But also in cleaning out things, it makes it easier for planning meals because I have a clear view of what is actually available. It also makes unloading groceries easier if things are organized and cleared out.

I try to plan about 2 weeks worth of menus besides the usual staple dinners I just always have on hand (such as stir fry).

In planning the menus I...
go through my recipe box


go through cookbooks


look at recipes I have bookmarked online


look at past meal lists/menu calendars - helps me get ideas but also helps me not repeat


look through grocery ads - often looking through them I find something that sparks an idea or sounds good

look in pantry, fridge, freezer -- is there something that needs to be used soon? Is there something I have quite a bit of so should start using it up? Also is there something I have in the pantry that I always prepare the same way - maybe I can come up with something new for it?

think about seasonal produce -- I think about what I can incorporate that is in season. Fresh produce that is in season always tastes extraordinary without a lot of work put into it. Just a little olive oil and salt and pepper and usually you can have a wonderful side.

ask - I ask Himself if there is anything he is craving or would like to see on the menu

This all might seem a little daunting - taking the time to do this, but the more menu planning you do, the easier it becomes. And you will be thankful that you are not looking in the pantry thinking what's can I make for dinner.


Additional Resources:
Meals.com - I haven't ever used them for planning menus but used a couple recipes before

mealsmatter.org - I just found them today when googling menu planning and signed up so will let you know how I like them in a week or so

Livejournal - Dinner Ideas -- You have to be a member of Livejournal but is it a community I find useful. Because it helps me remember what I made. I can go back and look at what we have had for dinner for the last month very easily.

Uncluttered -- they have an exel spreadsheet or pdf file that you can download to help in menu planning

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin