Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Kitchen Essentials Part 2

This is a follow up post to the Kitchen Essentials with of some favorites along with just some notes about why I have certain things in my kitchen....

Pots and Pans - When first stocking the kitchen, I started out with a saucepan, skillet and stockpot. And then add others later because I could do most things in those in a pinch.

Bakeware - You will see in Dishware I have 1 or 2 casserole dishes, if you at least pick up 9x13 and 8x8/9x9 GLASS pans you can use those for double duty for baked goods or casseroles. I prefer glass baking pans because of rusting. When a knife is used to cut into the metal pan, eventually that cut will start to rust (The only metal pans I have that I like that haven't rusted are my Chicago Metallic aluminized steel.) I also like the way glass looks when I have to bring pan of bars or lasagna somewhere too. One more important thing when shopping for baking pan - get at least a 9 x13 with a lid. It makes it so much easier when transporting and also just for keeping things fresh as it seals it up tighter then you can with foil or plastic wrap. I have an 8x8 and a 9x9 and they both have lids also and I love that they do too. I have 2 9x13 and only 1 lid and wish I had 2 lids.

I have jelly roll pans and cookie sheets. And yes there are differences. A Jelly Roll pan has 4 sides. The sides are 1-inch high (if they aren't 1-inch high then they are a baking sheet not a jelly roll pan) and usually a heavy duty aluminized steel so it allows even distribution of heat, helps the pan not warp while heating and also resists rusting. A jelly roll pan can be used to bake cookies but what I find it great for is sheet cakes and roasting vegetables. Or just to prevent any food juices from spilling inside the oven. A cookie sheet usually has 1 or 2 sides that make it easier to slide the cookies off the tray with a spatula.


Utensils - I have 2 sets of measuring cups and spoons because when baking it seems that I always need multiples. You have a recipe that calls for 1/2 cup of peanut butter and then 1/2 cup of sugar. And no time to wash between use - it is nice to have 2 1/2 cups.



Silicone coated whisk because it doesn't rust and easier to clean.




Stainless and Silicone Tongs because they don't scratch pans. And have a solid grip to pick things up.







Silicon Pastry Brushes that I use for frosting cookies, cinnamon rolls, coating glazes on cakes and breads, brushing bbq sauce or marinade on meat and so many other uses I didn't ever think possible. They aren't like the old straw bristly type that broke off sometimes while brushing sauce on your food. I bought mine at the Dollar Tree about 5 years ago and love them.




A few other favorites cooling racks, kitchen scissors and something not on the master list but that I use quite a bit is pie shields as it is so much easier then tinfoil.


Dishware & Storage - I started going to all glass or BPA-free containers and really am glad I did. These pyrex ones are my favorite for left overs and heating up I love that they wash up so great and not only are good for storing left-overs, but good for the freezer, oven and microwave. Plastic ones just get stained and start peeling away after many uses in the microwave and these glass ones have been great in the microwave, oven, freezer and dishwasher.



I have some quart jars and then a few of these OXO containers that I use to store rice, pasta, freshly ground coffee and beans. I would like a few more of the OXO containers for flour and sugar. They are BPA-free and I just like how they seal, but of course mason jars are cheaper.



I have everything on the kitchen essentials list, but as I said you might not need some things on the list. Find what works for you in the kitchen. Please feel free to ask me questions about anything on the list.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the wisk and my brain took it in a completly different direction.

    ;-}

    I am really dammaged goods.

    As to the post, I would add, Martha suggest a good supply of dish towels. I have found it a useful suggestion to keep many in a drawer to replace a dirty one as needed.

    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree- i like the pyrex glass dishes so much more then metal baking ware.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin