Sunday, November 25, 2012

My Sir's Favorite BBQ Sammiches






I saw this late 70's era ad and had to smile.  A working woman's dream and all for under $15!  And while not all of us work outside the home, we still work hard around the house!  This recipe is my Sir's favorite.  I've made it with beef, pork and chicken.

I serve this on potato rolls, and I always turn the slow-cooker on low while I am mixing the ingredients.

Barbecue Sammiches

1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup ketchup
1 cup barbecue sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's with Hickory and Brown Sugar)
1 cup water
2 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 - 1 tsp chili powder (I use less, Sir likes sweet better than spicy)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix the above in your crock pot and let heat through to combine well.  When it is done, add 3-4 lbs sirloin roast, bottom round roast, pork shoulder roast or chicken breasts and/or thighs.  Let simmer on high for at least 7 hours.  Meat needs to be tender and cooked through, but you do not want to burn the sauce!

Using two forks, shred the meat, if your crock pot is deep enough, you can do this in the pot, but if not, you will need to remove it and put it back in.  To shred, gently pull the meat apart using the forks.  Return meat to the sauce and heat through.

I like to toast the buns first by putting them face up under the broiler for just a few seconds.  Helps keep the bread from getting overly soggy,

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin