Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Cream of Potato Soup
6 large potatoes - chopped or sliced
1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 - 32 ounce carton of stock or 4 cups homemade stock
8 slices bacon - cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup cornstarch or flour
2 cups half and half or milk
optional: 1 cup cheese - your choice - I have used cheddar, colbyjack, gouda
salt and pepper to taste
optional toppings: paprika, green onions, chives, sour cream, cheese, potato chips, crumbled bacon
Place potatoes, carrots, onion and bacon in the crock-pot and pour the stock over it.
Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours. Or high for 2 to 3.
Scoop out 1/2 cup to 1 cup of your potatoes (if you get bacon or carrots in there, don't worry about it - it is okay) and mash slightly. Pour the mashed potatoes back into crock-pot.
Mix cornstarch and 1/4 of cup of water or some of the half and half in a small bowl. Stir that into your potato soup. Add the rest of the half and half and cheese and stir.
Do a taste test and add salt if needed or pepper. Cook for another 30 to 40 mins on low and then serve in bowls with toppings if wanted.
* I like how the veggies cook when completely covered with stock/liquid. So if when I add the stock it isn't completely covered with the stock, I will add some water or more stock to it cover
* Sometimes I skip the cheese and it slightly alters the taste, but still creamy and good.
* I never have added salt because often stock has salt (even the low sodium ones still have salt) and the bacon adds salt to it too. But I do add pepper probably about 1 to 2 teaspoons.
* As I said in the directions above - do not worry if when mashing the potatoes there is carrots or bacon in there. It is okay. You are just slightly mashing them and mixing them back on so everything ends back up in the pot so it fine.
* If it is too thick and creamy, add more liquid - water or stock.