Sunday, November 11, 2012

Book Review: The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World


The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World By Lynn Alley

The sub title of this book is "Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World" and I have to say it is perfect subtitle. This book has a great collection of recipes to use in your slow cooker. They are great upgrade to more traditional slow cooker recipes that add things from cans, bottles or packets. The recipes would be great on any night of the week, but also for a dinner party.

The recipes in this book and really all of Lynn Alley slow cooker cookbooks give delicious recipes for cooks who want the benefit of hands-off and easy cooking, but prefer to use whole foods and real ingredients. The author offers history or insight at the beginning of each recipe and then ends it with beer or wine suggestions to go with the meal. The layout, style and photos of the cookbook just make it a lovely read.

This is a cookbook that I have turned to so much that I now know many recipes by heart.  I recently picked up a cookbook that said it offered over 400 recipes in the book - well the book is hard to look at and find anything because it is too much. This book by Lynne Alley and her follow up book are just the right amount of recipes to create something in your slow cooker that you will enjoy.

Lynn Alley has 3 other slow cooker books besides this one - The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Volume II, Regional Comfort-Food Classics50 Simple Soups for the Slow CookerGourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World. I have read the first two and heard marvelous things about the last. I really want to read it. I would start off with The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World  though. If you are vegetarian, go straight to the vegetarian cookbook as I know it will be just as good as this one. 

Tomorrow I will share one recipe I use quite a bit from this cookbook.  But  here are a few other favorite recipes: Chicken and dumplings, Pork Stew in Tomatillo Sauce, Dublin Coddle, Beef Burgundy, Provencal Beef Stew, Chicken Piperade, Tarragon Chicken, Artichoke Risotto, Chicken Cacciatore, Apricot Chicken, Beef Biryani and really I could just go on and on as you can see.

This is probably my favorite slow cooker cookbook. If you pick up just one cookbook for your slow cooker, this is the one I would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin