Sunday, December 9, 2012

Wreath Making







I was invited by a co-worker to a Holiday Wreath making class.  Why not?   I am not the craftiest person, but I'm not completely hopeless!

Supplies

1 Wreath Form with decorative twists (available at www.mardigrasoutlet.com)
10 yards of 21" deco mesh ribbon
10 yards of ribbon in a smaller width (mine was about 5")
10 yards of ribbon in a smaller wideth (mine was about 2")
Decorations that can be tied or hot glued on (I used jingle bells)
Scissors, Wire, Hot Glue




The basic idea is that you tie the ribbons down with the "twist ties" that are on the wreath form and weave in and out, alternating between the inner loop and the outer loop.  Each layer of ribbon gets twisted in on top, and you can make loops, or bows or be as creative as you want.



Since explaining this without a video would be hard, here is a video I found on YouTube:



My green base ribbon "poufs" are about 9 inches. I wove in and out between the inner loop and out loop all the way around, but here is another alternative:



The difference in mine is that my second and third ribbons weave around the outside, skipping every other set of ties and at the top I made some poufy bows by doubling up the ribbon. I fastened the jingle bells on with floral wire (at 4 points, not sure if it can be seen here), but you can do a lot of different things.

There are lots of different options out there for ribbon, and there is even mesh roping that can be used, all that matters is the base is 21" wide and the ribbons get smaller as you build up.  Since you are using the same "twist ties" to tie each successive layer in, you might not be able to do more than 3-4 layers of ribbon, especially if you tie them in tightly.

There are tons of other videos with ideas out there, just search for "deco mesh wreath"  there is a pretty  cool looking Halloween one that I might just have to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin