Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Cheers

During the holidays, there is a lot of baking, cooking and drink mixing that goes on.  Recipes range from simple to very complex.  And while I will make elaborate desserts or side dishes, I have a hard time making drinks that are anything but simple!

Here are two recipes I rely on during the holidays


Egg Nog

(Note: this recipe uses raw eggs.  I have been making the non-alcoholic version for over 30 years.  I have never had a problem  However, if you are pregnant or have a weakened immune system, then you may not want to use this recipe.)


5 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg (+more for garnish)
1/4 cup spiced rum*

Put eggs, sugar, cream, milk and vanilla in the blender.  Blend on high until smooth and creamy.  Add nutmeg and rum and blend on low till well mixed and frothy.  Pour into glasses/mugs and top with fresh grated nutmeg.  Serves 4.

I use fresh grated nutmeg because it has a better flavor then dried.  If you have never had it, you might find that you want to put it in everything after you try it!


Warm Cider and Rum Punch



(This recipe comes from Martha Stewart's Every Day Food, December 2010)

8 cups apple cider
1 apple sliced thinly
1 orange sliced thinly
2 cinnamon sticks
1 inch section of peeled ginger
2 cups dark rum*

Combine all ingredients in a pot and place over high heat.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and add 2 cups rum.  


*For both recipes I used Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.  I prefer it to dark rum, but that is just my preference!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin