Thursday, April 5, 2012

Nacho Casserole

This is something I enjoy because it is just add and stir in one dish and then bake. Easy weeknight dinner.  This has lots of zip to it. You can take down the spice by either not tossing the chicken with taco seasoning or not adding the small can of diced chilis. We like spicy so we add that and sometimes I will even through in some sliced jalapeños. I serve with a garden salad or just some fruit.



2 cups diced uncooked chicken - tossed with 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
2 cups uncooked instant rice
1 can rotel (diced tomato and chilis) undrained
1 small can diced chilis - optional - we like it spicy
1 can (reduced fat) cream of chicken soup
1 cup frozen corn (canned corn will work fine too - mexicorn is great too!)
1 cup water
1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2-quart casserole (I used a 9"x13" glass pan) with cooking spray. In casserole, stir chicken, rice, rotel, chilis, soup, corn, water and 3/4 cup of the cheese until well mixed.

Cover with tinfoil and bake about 1 hour or until rice is tender, chicken is cooked and mixture is heated through. Remove tinfoil and top with tortilla chips and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

We like to top it with some light sour cream.

NOTES:
* Sometimes I like to add a can of pinto beans or black beans to this or add the beans and leave out the chicken. When I have left out the chicken, I have just sprinkled the taco seasoning over the rice and then mixed everything together.
* I have used browned ground turkey and ground chicken before too - that I mixed with taco seasoning and it tastes good that way too but I prefer to make it with chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin