Monday, May 4, 2009

Practical Books

Over on FetLife I answered a thread on books that helped in serving so I thought I would share my answer here. I also started a similar thread on the Domestic Servitude group on FetLife.

My most cherished book is - Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson. Mine looks like it is also as I have used it so much.

It has everything in it: How to do all basic sewing stitches. How to iron a dress shirt and fold sheets. How to make up a bed with hospital corners. How to choose proper sizes for sheets, tablecloths, and other household linens. How to set the table for informal and formal meals. Expert recommendations for safe food storage. The most exhaustive and reliable information on fabrics, textile fibers, and their laundering, and drying. A thorough explanation of care labels and why and how you should often (carefully) disregard them. Housekeeping guidelines for people with pets or with allergies. What to do about dust mites. How to clean and care for wood, china and crystal, jewelry, ceramic tile, metals, and more. Guides to stain and spot removal. It is a great book for a domestic service.

A few of my other favorites: Handbook for Hosts: A Practical Guide to Party Planning and Gracious Entertaining By Adam Bluestein, The Editors of Town & Country - It is a good go-to-book on entertaining. It an easy to read quick reference guide when throwing a party. It is has helpful ideas on a preparing your food, table and home, being a good host, entertaining over night guests and also about being a good guest in someone else's home

New Book of Table Settings By Chris Bryant, Paige Gilchrist - This book is for modern times when potlucks, buffets, friends over to watch a movie is common. It gives you ideas that work for many types of settings. Many ideas in the book use things you find around your house or easy to make. Pretty formal tables as well as casual tapas after work.

Emily Post's Etiquette - I think it is a thorough general book to have on hand. Also because Master has come to me and asked how to handle situations of etiquette from a male perspective - How to Be a Gentleman: A Timely Guide to Timeless Manners By John Bridges or there is another one by Emily Post's son - Peter Post about the same topics.

The Weekend Baker by Abigail Johnson - This book has really great recipes. But also if you are a beginner baker or someone who doesn't have a lot of time to bake - this book is for you. It is so detailed on the steps of the recipes. It gives you step by step instructions for a variety of methods such as hand mixing or mixer stand.

The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook By Beth Hensperger - If you have a bread machine or are thinking of getting one this book is like a bible for Bread Machines. I wish I would have had it when I first got my bread machine as it just has great trouble shooting tips for baking. Even for me living in high altitude. The recipes are so versatile too.

There are many good books on wine, entertaining, cleaning naturally, coffee/tea, massage, personal care, cooking and so on. Just do a search at your local library on those subjects and it is sure to bring up many books. The library is a great inexpensive resource even in this day and age of the internet.

As Sir Stephen mentioned some books on spirituality in the thread on Service Oriented Slaves, I have books that are similar that have helped me. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz - those agreements fit well for the relationship I am in - Owner/property. And really every relationship but I really could relate it back to my relationship with Master. Books on Buddhism have helped me immensely about meditation finding my center and focus. And actually more importantly it has helped me on acceptance of my life as sometimes as much as I want to be a slave - accepting what that actually means day to day can be a harder pill to swallow. The New Earth by Eckhart Tolle did a similar thing also - about learning to accept life and the things that come at you in unexpected ways. That the world is not ending if I can't do something perfectly - a lot of help on letting go of control - knowing I can't control everything and that is okay. I so want to do everything I can for Master - that I sometimes lose sight with the fact that I am only human and one person. That book helped remind me of that fact and to allow me to accept the moment as is.

So what books do count as practical books for serving? Or if you are on the top-side of the equation what books do you like those serving you to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin