Monday, May 7, 2012

Tacos a New Way



We really enjoy eating Mexican or Tex-Mex type food here. So I always keep my eye out for new ways to do something we normally eat - like tacos.  I found this recipe all over Pinterest but I used the recipe on Plain Chicken for Taco Cupcakes.

Taco Cups

1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 packet taco seasoning 
2/3 cup water
1 can black beans, drained
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
36 wonton wrappers
your favorite taco toppings - salsa, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, etc
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375.

Brown the meat in a skillet and drain off fat. Return the meat to the skillet; add the taco seasoning, water and black beans.  Mix and simmer for 7-10 minutes, until water is absorbed.

Spray 18 regular muffin pan cups with cooking spray.  Place one wonton wrapper in each muffin cup.  Divide half of the taco meat between muffin cups.  Sprinkle half of the cheese over the cupcakes.  Repeat layers - wonton, taco meat and cheese.  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and wontons are golden brown.  Top with your favorite taco toppings.

NOTES:
* I actually made 20 so I don't think I filled them all quite as full as maybe I should have but they all were still very full.

* I find that wontons wrappers can dry out quickly so I did 6 at a time. I put 6 muffin tins with the bottom layer of wontons, filled them meat mixture and then added the next wonton layer topping with the meat layer and cheese. Then moved on to the next 6 so that the wontons wouldn't dry out.  



click on the title of the post and then click the print button


2 comments:

  1. These sound yummy. Did you find that the wonton cups were a lighter feel than a taco shell? Which did you find you enjoyed more? Did the wonton crack more easily?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I did find the wonton cups were lighter then a taco shell. They really didn't crack but I found them fairly easy to cut through with my fork or just picking up and eating by hand they don't crack really and have things spilling all over. I think I like these better and that might just be because they are different then just a normal taco.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin