Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Product Review: Bamboo Towels

In the interest of trying to have a greener, more eco-friendly house I picked up a pack of bamboo cloths while at the store a few weeks ago. The packaging promised that they would be anti-fungal, anti-microbial, anti-bacterial. The package said good for dishes and washable Great! I thought, I love my all purpose microfiber cloths, but they STINK even after washing them with vinegar in the rinse water. I was very excited and promptly began using them.

They clean up well, are generously sized and wonder of all wonders, don't smell bad after a few days sitting beside the sink!.



However, I am really less than impressed with them:

1) They are supposedly washable. They fray badly and tear in the washing machine. Now, maybe it would be better if you washed them by hand, but I don't have the time or inclination to do that.

2) The ones I have are about the size and shape of paper towels.. therefore, last week when I was in school and Sir saw one sitting on the side of the sink... he thought I had left paper towel there and... threw them out.

3) For the price I paid, I'm not convinced that they are worth it. I know Trader Joe's carries another brand and honestly, I haven't tried them, but the nearest Trader Joe's is over 40 miles from our house. Should I find myself in that neighborhood then I will stop and procure them, but going 40 miles out of the way for eco-friendly towels with gas prices near $4/gallon here does not seem like a smart thing to do.

Here's one of the towels after two trips through the washing machine...

5 comments:

  1. The after image kinda looks like cheesecloth.

    There's a TJ's near us, perhaps mouse will have a look. Did try the TJ's version of Shamwow (LOL) and it worked fine...But got really dirty looking and was afraid to throw it in the washer, because yanno they're so absorbent it could soak up all the water in the washing machine.

    Ok...that last part was totally a joke. Actually did wash one but dunno...maybe it was the detergent or something but it just didn't work as well afterward.

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. mouse,

    If you do try them out, let me know how they work.

    Ok, I'll have to admit the visual I got of your shamwow soaking up all the water in the washing machine made me laugh!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rheya, thank you for the review! Wow that looks so shredded....how horrible!

    My sister had bamboo towels but I think they looked different then what you had in that package. I can't tell for sure but I think they were more the thickness of a regular washcloth. I don't know anything else about them.

    But I am with you on going more green but if they shred like that I think I would try to find another eco-friendly option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. danae -

    Yeah for the moment I will stick with my microfiber cloths and just wash them OFTEN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't mind terry cloth, IKEA sells small washcloths for babies that are 30x30cm. They shrink a little in the wash, but they're bleachable and cheap.

    We've got about 40 of them (4 packs, cost was about $20 for those 4 packs) and they get used for everything. Usually use one or two a day in the kitchen.

    Here they are: http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/40054538

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin