Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Book Review: More Easy Everyday Cooking

More Easy Everyday Cooking by Better Homes and Gardens

This book offers a wide variety of fairly easy recipes that could be made everyday of the week. It is broken into sections: Appetizers & Snacks, Salads, Soups & Stews, Beef & Pork, Fish & Seafood, Poultry, Meatless Dishes, Cookies & Cakes and Desserts. It has over 200 recipes and 144 photographs.

I don't think this book is one I feel I need to own but if I was a working Mom that had trouble coming up with ideas on what to cook - this book might be worth owning. A lot of the recipes are 30 minutes or under (except some of the desserts). I am glad I checked it out from the library and have several recipes flagged to make.

I only have had time to make one recipe. And it was easy and tasted good. I made Baked Vegetable Dippers. It was more healthy also then the fried version of vegetable dippers. The only problem I had it didn't cover as many pieces of veggie as the recipes has in it.

Here is the recipe the Baked Vegetable Dippers:

* Nonstick Cooking Spray
* 1 cup cornflake crumbs
* 2 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
* 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
* 2 egg whites
* 2 tablespoon water
* 2 small zucchini or yellow summer squash - cut into 1/4 inch slices
* 1 cup cauliflower florets
* 1 cup halved mushrooms or broccoli florets
* 1 8-ounce can pizza sauce or marinara sauce

Coat baking sheet with cooking spray and set it aside.

In a small bowl combine cornflakes, cheese, garlic powder and red pepper. In a small bowl beat egg whites and water.

Dip vegetables into egg white mixture and then into crumb mixture to coat. Place vegetables in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Heat pizza sauce for dipping warm vegetables.

NOTES:
* I used store brand cornflakes
* Recipe in book calls for 3/4 cup cornflakes - it wasn't going to cover all the veggies I prepared to added more that additional 1/4 cup - I would prepare veggies as you go to make sure you have enough to cover them
* I used homemade marinara sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin