Saturday, March 14, 2009

Bulk Breakfast Burritos

Last week when I was looking at Tipnut.com, I came across a link to an article about making "cheap" bulk breakfast burritos for quick morning breakfast. But their cheap - although might be cheap by some standards weren't by mine. The burritos on that site came to .72 cents a piece. I made 20 burritos that ended up being .37 cents a piece.


$2.00 - 20 tortillas - I get tortillas from Sam's Club in a 36 pack (2 packs of 18)
$1.20 - 10 eggs (was going to use a dozen but only had 10 left in that carton)
$1.66 - 2 cups cheese - That is approximate that was in the bag. But I didn't use it all but just using the price for the bag. The cheese is again a Sam's Club purchase where I divide up a 5 lb package into smaller packages and freeze
$1.16 pinto beans - 2 cans - these were what I had on hand but of course doing dried beans in the crockpot would be easy and also much cheaper
.78 Rotel- 1 can - Sam's Club 8 cans in a pack (Rotel is just diced tomatoes with chilies)
.62 green chilies - 1 can - these aren't in the package in the photo because I just needed a spoonful the other day for something so these weren't a full can but I would normally use a full can

Total = $7.42

So 20 burritos would be .37 cents a piece.



I cracked all the eggs into a bowl and mixed well. I then added the can of Rotel and green chilies. I poured into a pan coated with cooking spray. And cooked over medium heat.


Just before the eggs were fully cooked, I added the beans.



Place a good sized spoonful of egg mixture on a tortilla and top with some cheese.



Fold over the sides of the burrito so that they mostly cover the egg mixture


Fold over one end.


And roll up the rest of the way.


On a tray to flash freeze before putting into ziplocks.

To Microwave: I took straight from the freezer and microwaved for 1 minute. I am sure it will vary from microwave to microwave so that might be up to 2 minutes. In the other link it suggested defrosting in the microwave and then cooking. But the ones I made tasted good without defrosting and just microwaving for 1 minute on a plate.

Of course like stated at the link at the beginning there are many variations you could do to these. Add more veggies, different beans such as black beans or add some meat such as ground turkey and sausage.


Edit: 4/9/09 - I made another batch tonight but added a full dozen eggs and got 24 burritos out of it. Kept everything else the same.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! Totally doing this with the next cooking spree I do this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous! I am going to have to incorporate this in my next OAMC batch for home. Much better tasting and much less expensive than the drive thru. KUDOS to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would do this if I could eat flour tortillas. Corn tortillas are just so damn small and hard to fold like that. I do like how you broke down the cost though. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so I did make them. I changed things up a bit. I used turkey breakfast sausage and a 1/2 c. salsa instead of the diced tomatoes because I wanted more zing. I left out the beans.

    @Amanda on Maui - You can use corn tortillas. Soften the tortillas in warm oil til pliable. Then just roll like a cigar. Since they are flash frozen the food stays in the tortilla. I noticed that this is also great, although not nearly as healthy to do with corn tortilla ones to fry them up until crispy. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luna, I thought of doing turkey sausage in a some of them too this next time I make them. I like to have at least one meal a day without meat - but I am still getting protein in the eggs, cheese and beans though.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin