Saturday, July 28, 2012

Tomato Bacon Salad

We had a BBQ to go to and of course about about a week before the party I started to worry about what to bring.  It said to bring  a "side" on the invitation.  Well, I normally bring desserts to any function I go to because I love to bake and people know I bake and enjoy my baked goods.  So seeing side meant to me bringing something to go with the main entree which was grilled venison. Add in we were going to be out of town up til the morning of the party so I needed something I could just easily pick up the ingredients that morning on our way back in town or have on hand at home.  It needed to be something that didn't require a lot of prep work or cook time as I just wouldn't have the time. 

I was flipping through an old Food & Wine magazine and came across a recipe that I adapted because it wasn't exactly what sounded good to me - as I don't like blue cheese and I didn't like the sound of dijon vinaigrette at that moment - but I am sure it would be good with it too.  This is what I ended up making...





Tomato Bacon Salad
3 lbs tomatoes at least 3 different kinds chopped- I did 4 kinds
1/2 lb cooked bacon - crumbled
1 small container feta cheese
balsamic vinaigrette (homemade or bottled) - to taste - start with 1/2 cup and keep moving up - I think I used about 1 cup.

Toss all ingredients to mix. Refrigerate until serving. The flavors will soak in and marinate the tomatoes.  

Refrigerate any leftovers - if there are any.  We came home with less than 1/2 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin