One of the first things that stopped my owner in his tracks is when he saw that I had two books on laundry on my 'service' bookshelves. It's one of my favorite chores.
I perform valet services as well as laundering. That includes laying out his clothes on a daily basis, providing at least twice a week changes of fresh sheets and towels (pillowcases are changed out more frequently) and providing a change of comfortable clothes after work if he wants, including fresh socks since he doesn't wear slippers. It also includes being available to serve as his barber or provide a hot towel shave and facial massage. I also assist in dressing him in the mornings if I am available, or in the evenings before we go out.
As for the laundry, some of my favorite tips:
- We use homemade laundry detergent.
- I have a solid understanding of fabric types including specialty fibers such as cashmere, and how to launder them from my fiber arts.
- I tend to run loads according to the fabric type (for temperature and level of agitation) and color, and save handwash items to do in a batch at one time.
- When transferring items to the dryer, I try to snap them out so the items are not wadded up.
- I don't overdry items.
- I never use fabric softener with towels or items intended to be absorbent.
- Often, the only softener I'll use is diluted vinegar.
- Unmatched items are not placed back into the drawers until they are paired up again.
- My preference is to fold things right away if possible.
- If items are worn to the point where they need to be replaced, I bring it to his attention. It's his call if he wants new ones purchased.
- I monitor seasonal items and launder/store them as needed.
- I also can perform bootblacking and leather care.
He's very appreciative. He's commented on how much softer and more absorbent his towels are and how much he enjoys sliding into fresh, crisp sheets on a far more regular basis than he was used to.
He's never short on clean items to wear, never has to fish around in a drawer for matching socks, and enjoys that he doesn't have to manage when and how the laundry gets done.
Fresh bedding, changes of clothing and clean towels just somehow happen. :)