5 Ways to Enjoy Basil
1. In a salad. Fill a large bowl with your favorite greens. Add 1 1/2 cups shredded basil, 1/2 cup cup shredded mint, sliced sweet onion and cucumbers. Toss with a couple spoonfuls of seasoned rice wine vinegar and ground pepper.
2. As a stir-fry add-in. Perk up any Asian rice, noodle or veggie stir-fry by adding chopped Thai basil leaves just before serving.
3. In a flavored vinegar. Loosely pack a clear, clean wine bottle with any variety basil and 1/8 teaspoon whole peppercorns. Heat 3 cups white wine vinegar until hot but not boiling. Fill bottle and let cool before capping. After cool, put lid on and let steep for 5 days (or up to 2 weeks) in the refrigerate. Shake over salads and grilled chicken or fish. To make its shelf life last longer strain the herbs out after steeping.
4. In a dessert syrup. Bring 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup lime juice and 1/4 cup water to a boil. Place in a blender with 3/4 cup fresh basil. Puree. Strain. Pour over fruit salad or add to cocktails.
5. With ripe tomatoes. Slice a tomato, sprinkle with salt and drizzle with olive oil. Reassemble the tomato, tucking large Italian basil leaves between the slices. Chill for 1 hour before serving.
Of course there are many other ways to use basil. I just wanted to give you a few tips. Please feel free to share your favorite ways to use basil!
* Photo of Caprese salad which is a good way to use basil too. I thought this recipe for Caprese Skewers look really good.